Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Pinterest challenge week 1

     So my week one challenge is a little late but HERE is the link to Hanna's results! Her's turned out so cute!

     Before my results I have to tell you a funny story. While I was at the grocery store picking out my spaghetti squash Sophia saw it and called it her egg. I told her what it actually was but she insisted it was a giant egg. I just laughed and kept shopping. When we went to check out she almost lost it when I let the cashier ring the squash up. She had to carry the squash in the car, all the way home, into the house, and then made it a nest at home out of our clothes for it to live in! How was I supposed to cut up her egg for dinner?! Ha ha She was waiting for it to hatch. So I did what any good mother would do. Waited till nap time and swiped the egg, cooked it, and hid the evidence ha ha. I know I am horrible but what was I to do?




       So the actual cooking part of the squash was super easy. You just throw it in the oven at 350 for 30-45 min. Then take it out cut out the seeds and pull out the insides with a fork. Put the insides in a pan and cook on medium heat till tender. This is where I ran into problems. I don't think I was patient enough our squash was a little under cooked.



I added spices and some onions to it while I cooked it to give it some flavor. I think next time I will also kind of sautee it in some olive oil. 


Our sauce to go on top full of mushrooms and onions and tomatoes. It was kind of a veggie overload. Next time I will definetly add some meat to it.


The finished product. It looked so delicious, but we were both a little disappointed and left wanting something more. The recipe has some room for improvement. I will definetly be tweeking it and trying again. I haven't given up on it yet. I have had spaghetti squash as a substitute for noodles before and I really liked it.  So I know it can be good! I just need to try some different variations. If anyone has a good recipe for it let me know! 

~A

No comments: